Welcome Home! I hope that you had a wonderful February Vacation. I worked this week and accomplished great things. I will fill you in on those accomplishments in this note and others in weeks to come. We have 8 weeks between now and April break, so let's buckle down and get to it!
Lost & Found
Yes, our Lost and Found is a veritable collection of Abercrombie, Old Navy, and everything in between. It will be available for you to look through until Friday, March 4th. At that time, it will be donated to a social service agency.
National Geographic Bee
Congratulations to Ryan Prendible who has qualified to compete in the State Competition on Friday, April 1, 2016. Way to go, Ryan!
Traffic Concerns - ACTION ITEM
McKelvie has been contacted by the Bedford Police Department regarding safety issues on Liberty Hill and County Roads. Below are four easy steps that can help.
1. Whenever possible, please have your child take the bus
2. Do not block the intersection of Liberty/County Roads. If you can't pull into the drive, wait at the SAU parking lot and come back.
3. Pull ahead. Far too many drivers are leaving big gaps between cars. The tighter you pull in, the more cars our lot can handle.
4. Arrive at 3:25. We dismiss at 3:15, which means it takes a solid 10 minutes for students to get to their car and pull away. If you arrive a little later, traffic is clear and pick up is more convenient.
Q3 Report Cards
As we move through Q3, I want to let you know that we will be piloting digital report cards. In essence, this means that you will be notified when the digital report card is available on the parent portal. If needed, you will be able to print your own report card from home. OR, you may simply let the report card live in the portal until such a time as it is needed. Upon completion of the pilot, we will solicit feedback.
Placement for 2016/2017 - IMPORTANT
You may have noticed that each year our schools continue to tighten up placement procedures. With increasingly complex schedules, course offerings, and student learning needs, creating a fair and equitable process is of high value to us. There are two issues related to placement that we want to bring to your attention:
1. Teacher & Friend requests are generally not honored unless there is a compelling reason to do so. We do our best to match students with teachers, but do not believe parents should be in the business of selecting their child's teacher. Further, friendship requests frequently cannot be honored. As a result, the placement team will articulate specific standards in our annual placement letter (sent home just before April vacation).
2. We have found that announcing placement on the last day of school has created challenges that can be eliminated if we hold on placement until the beginning of August. The placement team and faculty will be working through these issues to land on a decision soon.
In Previous News...
Student Council Lip Sync Showdown
The student council will be hosting a Lip Sync Showdown on Thursday, March 24th at 6pm. Auditions will be held on Wednesday, March 9th. Students will need music, printed lyrics and a permission form found on the Student Council web page.
PTG at Manchester Monarchs
Come join the PTG at Max’s Superhero Birthday Party at the Manchester Monarchs onSaturday, March 12th at 7p.m. Look for Batman, Superman and other heroes, even come dressed up as your favorite! Kids will have a chance to participate in the “high five tunnel” to cheer on the Monarchs players as they take the ice (just let us know on your order form). The first 4,000 fans will get a superhero bobblehead! Tickets are priced at the reduced rates of $20/adult and $15/children under 12. Click here to download an order form and return to your school office by Friday, March 4th. Contact Lisa Nash with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.